Friday, July 23, 2010

A New Phase of My Life to Begin

"Just don't think about it."
-Joseph "Floes" Serock

The WSOP has come and gone. It was a disapointing series but I really put my heart into it and I'm proud of my efforts. I made it just barely into day 2 of the main event without making a pair post-flop. That's right. I didn't make one pair nor did I even flop a draw (in 11 hours of poker!). Couldn't have run any colder. Oh well, it's just one tournament. Just happened to be the biggest and best one of the year. I'll be back again next year.

After busting from the main event I did something quite out of character. I went skydiving! Maybe not a big deal for most people but I'm deathly afraid of heights. My Vegas roommate Joe Serock told me not to think about it and just do it. Really happy I listened to him and went for it. I can proudly say I'm over my fear.

I'm making some big changes in my life (Improvements I hope) in the next couple months. I'm on day 5 of quitting smoking and I feel really good that I'll see it through this time. I'm also taking the next few months off poker with the exception of Sundays and an online session here or there. I've worked extremely hard in the last 3 years and certainly earned time for socializing and finding other things in my life that have meaning and make me happy. I wanna explore the world and parts of myself I've left dormant for too long now. My goal is to feel fulfilled and HAPPY. This will be the only time in my life I've put my mental and physical well-being ahead of everything else.

Hopefully I can return to my real passion in the next few months: Screenwriting. Most people in the poker world don't know that I graduated with a degree in Film Production and Screenwriting from York University in Toronto. I've really put my creativity on hold in the last few years to pursue poker but I'm ready to pick it back up again. I'm very grateful to have had great success in poker and I'm grateful for all the experiences and friends poker has given me. It's been a dream come true for me and I mean that with 100% honesty. But things change, I've changed, and there is a whole messload of experiences I've yet to have because I put life on hold.

I think it's time to pursue a new dream.

Peace,
Simon Charette

No comments:

Post a Comment